Automated Pallet Shuttle
The automated Pallet Shuttle is a compact pallet storage system that uses an electric shuttle and automated handling systems to boost capacity and productivity in the warehouse.
Automated Pallet Shuttle: combining benefits to give you the edge
This system combines automatic handling equipment with compact storage systems. It enables companies to cut costs, enhance their supply-chain performance, and, thus, differentiate their product and service offerings.
With this storage solution, forklifts are replaced by stacker cranes or transfer cars, which transport the motorized shuttle and the load in their cradles. The shuttle is inserted into the storage channels, placing each of the pallets in the deepest available position. This is all done by following orders generated by the Easy WMS Warehouse Management System.
In short, the automated Pallet Shuttle optimizes the storage capacity of compact systems while reducing the times used in each operation of an automated system.Top
Automated Pallet Shuttle: perfect solution for mass movement of product
The installation of a high-density AS/RS with the Pallet Shuttle is especially suitable in cases requiring a marked increase in productivity and, hence, that need to move a high number of pallets/hour.
In general, this solution is appropriate in the following cases:
- Compact storage of palletized goods and mass storage of products.
- Warehouses with medium- and high-consumption SKUs or with a large number of pallets.
- Facilities with fast product turnover requiring extremely high throughput and maximum use of space.
- Cold storage: the volume that needs to be cooled is reduced, resulting in energy-cost savings. Additionally, the presence of operators in low-temperature environments is unnecessary, considerably increasing the number of movements made.
- Storage buffer.
- Ideal for deep racking with mass inflows and outflows of the same product.
Bringing together the benefits of compact storage and automation
- Maximum space savings in compact systems with storage channels up to 131' deep and racking over 131' tall.
- Rapid movement of the electric shuttle, which reduces goods entries and exits.
- Major increase in the number of cycles/hour compared to other storage systems.
- Goods-to-person system, whereby the load is moved to the pick stations automatically.
- Shuttle supercapacitors are charged automatically while onboard the stacker crane or transfer car, so the shuttle is always ready to go.
- Cost savings in handling equipment, warehouse surface area, staff, and energy (especially in freezer warehouses).
- System that allows for different configurations depending on the number of SKUs, quantity of pallets, and movements required in each case.
- Compact automated storage and retrieval systems (AS/RS) operating with the Pallet Shuttle ensure the utmost safety of the operators, the load, and the AS/RS itself.
Compact AS/RS with Pallet Shuttle
In automated storage and retrieval systems (AS/RS) with the Pallet Shuttle, forklifts are replaced with automatic handling equipment, stacker cranes, or transfer cars. This considerably reduces the time used for each operation.
The choice of handling equipment will depend on the number of entry and exit movements, the number of SKUs, and the quantity of pallets per SKU or batch. The key difference between the two systems lies in the potential number of pallets that can be moved by a solution with transfer cars compared to one with stacker cranes, as this quantity is multiplied by the number of levels the system has.
Automated Pallet Shuttle with stacker crane
The stacker crane is responsible for transporting pallets from the AS/RS entry and exit points to any storage channel. The Pallet Shuttle is charged with moving the pallets from the cradle of the stacker crane to their location in the corresponding channel.
Generally, two high-density racking units are installed, one on each side of the working aisle. This configuration increases capacity, as the main aisle is small (less than 63" wide). Moreover, the use of stacker cranes allows for the storage height to reach over 131'.
Thanks to its integration with the Easy WMS warehouse management system, in addition to increasing capacity, this solution considerably boosts productivity. That is, it makes it possible to raise the number of cycles/hour and accurately control stock and all movements made in the facility.
Automated Pallet Shuttle with transfer car
With this solution, a walkway-like structure with guide rails is installed to enable a transfer car to operate on each level. As with the solution with stacker cranes, two high-density racking units are normally set up, one on each side of the working aisle.
The transfer car is a non-continuous pallet conveyor that runs on rails in a straight line, moving the goods from one point to another in the AS/RS. Likewise, it incorporates another transport element on board where the shuttle is located, with drag chains for pallets. To connect the different levels of the AS/RS, lifts are used to perform vertical movements.
All management and automated control — with the relevant criteria selected for operation, location, assignment, picking, etc. — are carried out by means of the Easy WMS warehouse management system.
In AS/RS with transfer cars, the number of movements or cycles/hour is multiplied by the number of levels in the AS/RS. It is the most efficient compact storage system for combining high capacity with a high number of movements.
|Pallet depth||31.5"/39.4" x 47.2"|
|Load capacity||Up to 1.65 tons|
|Travel speed without load||Ambient: 361'/min; cold: 249'/min|
|Travel speed with load||230'/min|
|Lift time||2 s|
|Operating temperature||Ambient: from 41 to 113 °F; cold: from -22 to 41 °F|
Ask an expert 1-708-344-9999Request information or get a quote