Automated shuttle system for high throughput distribution centers
The Shuttle System is an automated storage solution for boxes that speeds up order picking, ensuring a constant flow of products from the warehouse slots to the pick stations.
More agility in order prep and increased storage capacity
This solution increases storage density and picking speed, boosting productivity.
- Continuous flows and operations (24/7).
- Fully automated storage system for boxes, bins, totes, and small parts.
- Maximum speed in goods entry and exit operations.
- High number of movements per hour.
- Perpetual inventory (in real time) thanks to the Easy WMS warehouse management system.
- Modular and scalable system: can be expanded according to logistics needs.
- Optimization of available surface area to provide greater storage capacity.
- Adaptable to different unit loads (plastic totes, cardboard boxes, metal trays) of multiple sizes.
- Easy maintenance without the need to completely stop warehouse operations.
Intensive, more efficient picking for all types of companies
The Shuttle System is suitable for companies in any industry. It’s especially advantageous for those that house many small products in a limited space and need to enhance order picking productivity in their logistics facilities. Moreover, this system facilitates the consolidation and sequencing of prepared orders and the supply of materials to production lines.
Healthcare and pharmaceutical companies: small products in a reduced space and at a controlled temperature.
Spare parts and maintenance companies: plumbing, electrical, and distribution items for wholesalers.
Distribution companies: small-sized, high turnover products.
Buffer warehouse: the Shuttle System can act as a temporary storage area for certain products, such as goods needed for production lines.
Sorter operation: the warehouse organizes the products necessary for the preparation of a large number of orders at the same time.
Continuous, safe movement of goods
The Shuttle System is specifically designed to facilitate the preparation of a large number of orders a day.
Manitou Group automates its spare parts warehouse
Manitou Group, a manufacturer of materials handling, lifting, and earthmoving equipment, has automated its facility in France. The company has installed the Mecalux Shuttle System to manage small products and two high-performance pick stations. Read more
Three possible picking systems for the same AS/RS
The Shuttle System is combined with pick stations where orders are prepared according to the goods to person method. The boxes are automatically sent to one of these three types of workstations:
- Traditional pick station. This solution is ideal for sporadic order picking. It is based on a U-shaped conveyor system at the front of the AS/RS (with roller conveyors) or on one side (with belt conveyors). Operators pick the boxes they receive from the AS/RS and distribute them to the locations behind them. In this way, depending on the dimensions of the boxes, operators can prepare 60 to 120 order lines per hour for the same SKU.
- Multi-order pick station. This also incorporates a U-shaped conveyor system. In this case, orders are prepared on one side of the operators (as opposed to behind them). There, they receive the boxes automatically (each box corresponds to an order made up of multiple SKUs). Operators remove the items from the boxes received from the AS/RS and sort them into each order. With this workstation, operators only have to turn 90° to prepare between 90 and 165 order lines per hour.
- High performance pick station. This picking solution — the most ergonomic of all — is designed to facilitate and speed up the preparation of orders containing many SKUs and lightweight products. In this pick station, up to 6 orders can be filled simultaneously, reaching a throughput of up to 1,000 picks/hour.
|Max. AS/RS height
|Max. AS/RS length
|Max. box weight
|Single-, double-, and triple-deep
|Up to 13'/s
|Up to 13'/s2
|From 32 to 104 °F
Ask an expert