Interlake Mecalux, the US subsidiary of Mecalux, S.A., is among the leading companies in the storage systems market specializing in the design, manufacture, sale, and service of warehouse solutions.
We are hiring a Director of Logistics to work out of our Melrose Park, IL facility.
Responsible for establishing and directing all shipping and warehousing functions in the US including planning, directing, and/or coordinating transportation, storage, distribution activities in accordance with company polices. Ensures timely delivery of quality products by optimizing distribution and warehouse functions to meet customers’ requirements.
- Confer with department heads in production, sales, and purchasing to coordinate shipping activities.
- Issue shipping instructions and provide routing information to ensure that delivery times and locations are coordinated.
- Lead and improve team performance by developing optimum work schedules/workflow, coaching, effectively training employees, counseling and disciplining employees, resolving conflicts, planning, monitoring and appraising staff performance. Foster teamwork, commitment, respect, trust, pride, and ownership.
- Ensure effective assignment/utilization of resources, maintaining adherence to established policies, processes, and procedures and promoting positive two-way communications on business and department priorities/needs to all employees.
- Monitor overall departmental performance by collecting and reporting inventory accuracy data, negative inventory balances, manpower effectiveness, correct identification of bin locations, housekeeping trends, etc.
- Compile and distribute shipping reports detailing order status, distribution plans, and service/shipping cost aspects.
- Advise sales and finance/accounting departments of transportation charges for customer accounts.
- Ensure that raw material, work-in-process, and finished goods inventory is transacted in an accurate and timely manner and stocked in designated locations
- Arrange for necessary shipping documentation and contacts customs officials to effect release of shipments.
- Arrange for storage facilities when required.
- Examine invoices and shipping manifests for conformity tariff and customs regulations.
- Review invoices, work orders, consumption reports, and demand forecasts to estimate peak delivery periods and to issue work assignments.
- Manage the inventory improvement process. Review reports and be hands-on in the warehouse to understand discrepancies and identify their root causes, resolve discrepancies, and suggest and implement corrective measures.
- Complete periodic inventory cycle counts including the annual physical inventory, reporting actual vs. perpetual inventory balances, and investigate root causes and implement systematic solutions.
- Ensure a safe work environment by identifying and recommending preventive incident measures/initiatives and by maintaining diligent housekeeping standards and compliance with all OSHA and DOT requirements.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and teamwork abilities. Must show ability to take and give direction in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, or similar field of study) is preferred. Equivalent and relevant receiving/warehouse/distribution experience in lieu of degree may be considered.
- Personality: Candidates must have integrity, be highly analytical, and have a strong desire to be deeply involved in the business. Candidates must be organized and methodical in their work, with the ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to change. Candidates must be able to persevere through difficult work challenges with the highest degree of dedication. Candidates must have strong interpersonal skills with the confidence to interact and communicate effectively with personnel from all levels of the organization
- Regularly walks/stands for extended periods of time 75%-100% on Plant floor. Must be able to work in an area that is somewhat uncomfortable due to drafts, noise, temperature variations etc.